Nowadays,we can find various interactive crime maps online for getting updated information in our cities/neighborhoods, but actually not all the crime maps are informative and user-friendly. Here we find an interactive crime map of Denver, the capital of the U.S. state of Colorado, and see if this crime map is useful enough.
Denver Post Crime App is an interactive map and charts for investigate crime trends in Denver neighborhoods. Since there are many features in the map, let’s explore it in following steps:
- Select a date range of up to 31 days on the top left corner, and then you can see the updated daily crime bar chart on the top of the map.
- Mouseover the bar to see the total number of crimes in each day.
- The interactive map aims for showing the crime trends in all Denver by neighborhood that you can see the analysis result by various colors: regions in red represent increasing crimes and regions in green represents decreasing crimes.
- Mouse click the region, and then click the inserted URL in the popup box.
- After clicking the URL, map users will be directed to the neighborhood map, which has been pinned with multiple markers with different colors, which represent various crime types: violent, property, and others.
- Detailed information of individual crime can be seen by mouse clicking the marker.
- There is a categories legend on the right of the map that map users can select specific categories by checking the checkbox.
- There is a crime statistics report at the bottom of the map for displaying the types, locations, and time of the crimes in that neighborhood.
- Map users can go back to the Denver map by clicking the “Reset map and data” button on the top right corner.
Map Reviews: 4/5 Stars
- Easy for searching information from different neighborhood with mulit-level map design.
- Detailed information with bar chart and statistic report.
- Categories legend serves as a filtering feature.
Though the map can be improved if map users can be directly directed to the neighborhood after clicking the region since the popup box with the inserted URL is a bit superfluous and meaningless.
Overall, there are few crime maps are really informative, and it ‘s one among the minority.